Wednesday, February 08, 2006

And it Burns, Burns, Burns....

So I am definitely late on this, and I am not sure if its been touched on in earlier posts, but I just saw Walk The Line this weekend, and it was ACE. The film isn't genius in a Usual Suspects, change the way you watch movies sorta way, or The Hours, mess you up for a couple of weeks sorta way, but instead is just a beautifully executed character film with amazing performances by Joaquin Phoenix (as Johnny Cash) and Reese Witherspoon (as June Carter).

My viewing pleasure was perhaps amplified by the fact that Nick Hornby's music obsessed protagonist in High Fidelity (one of my favorite books) lists Johnny Cash's biography as his favorite book, and this way I know what its about without having to read it!

Here is the skinny. Joaquin Phoenix finally finds a role where his eerieness fits perfectly, and his slow, dark speach pattern fit. He was born to play Johnny Cash, and amazingly, he can really sing. This my friends is not Lou Diamond Phillips lipsinking to Los Lobos! Joaquin Phoenix sings just like Johnny Cash in an actor-sings-like-famous-singer portrayal that rivals Kevin Spacey doing Bobby Darin.

I can't really say that I was that familiar with June Carter's voice before watching the movie, but irrespective of whether she is accurate, Reese Witherspoon is amazing in this film. If June Carter sounded half as good as Witherspoon in real life, she'd be solid, and considering she probably sounded exponentially better, I am dying to get that Cash and Carter live from Folsom Prison album.

The film is being kept in theatres due to the oscar noms Phoenix and Witherspoon have received in the past couple of weeks and I strongly recommend it to any stragglers like me that were too lazy to go and see it when it first came out.

1 Comments:

At 2:04 AM, Blogger FriedOreo said...

I also enjoyed the movie. I actually thought, however, that Witherspoon was a little annoying at times, but hell, maybe June Carter was like that in real life, in which case Witherspoon is a convincing actor. But Phoenix was spectacular throughout, and I left the theater thinking that Cash had his problems and they were pretty deep. The scenes with Elvis and Roy Orbison were cool also. The ending was kind of weak, though I guess the the director does a good job of redeeming Cash without glorifying him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home