Friday, June 02, 2006

TOP 15 EARLY B&S SONGS

(or Belle & the Best of 'Em)

To expand on the recent lively Belle & Sebastian (B&S) discussion, I ask that you post your top 15 early B&S songs. The period I define as early B&S is identified by the initial splurge of truly inspired Stuart Murdoch songcraft - what many consider to be the quintessential (classic, recognizable) B&S sound - and includes the following releases:

1996 LP Tigermilk
1997 LP If You're Feeling Sinister
1997 EP Dog on Wheels
1997 EP Lazy Line Painter Jane
1997 EP 3.. 6.. 9 Seconds of Light
1998 LP The Boy With the Arab Strap
1998 EP This Is Just a Modern Rock Song

Some would argue against including the last two listed releases. This is fine, and on principal, I would agree. Some may argue for including releases subsequent to those listed. This is less fine, and if you feel this way, please explain yourself (for the benefit of humanity).

I ask that you list 15 songs because I don't want anyone taking the easy way out and just listing If You're Feeling Sinister.

RPSHYENA'S TOP 15 EARLY B&S SONGS
(in order of release)

1996 LP Tigermilk
1. The State I Am In
2. My Wandering Days Are Over

1997 LP If You're Feeling Sinister
3. Seeing Other People
4. Me and the Major
5. Like Dylan and the Movies
6. The Fox in the Snow
7. If You're Feeling Sinister
8. Judy and the Dream of Horses

1997 EP Dog on Wheels
9. Belle & Sebastian

1997 EP Lazy Line Painter Jane
10. Photo Jenny

1997 EP 3.. 6.. 9 Seconds of Light
11. A Century of Fakers
12. Beautiful
13. Put the Book Back on the Shelf

1998 LP The Boy With the Arab Strap
14. The Boy With the Arab Strap

1998 EP This Is Just a Modern Rock Song
15. Slow Graffiti

I welcome all criticisms (or personal attacks if deemed necessary) based on my novice judgement!

3 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger rpshyena said...

Perhaps Rollercoaster Ride (Arab Strap) above Beautiful (3.. 6.. 9)? Haters of Yo La Tengo may dissent.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Mugshot said...

I cannot pick 15, because I have trouble dividing up Sinister. It's too late; it works as a unit for me. So what I would do is make 2 B&S CDs: one with tracks before and after sinister, and one with the "later" B.S. And some of Fold Your Hands I would include among the earlier (see "The Model").

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger ryunited and it feels so good said...

I would include "Fold Your Hands Child" as early Belle and Sebastian because its production and overall sound is very similar to the recordings you have listed there - it also marks the last of the records that Belle and Sebastian recorded including Isobel Campbell, who had a profound influence that is immediately recognizable when you hear "Dear Catastrophe Waitress"'s distinctly "clean" sound.

I wouldn't want to rank any of the tracks in this era because I think all four of the albums flow beautifully and I can never justify skipping around on them.

I LOVE the tracks on 3...6...9 and was so happy when Matador released the EP box set so people could snap em up in one shot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home