Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Musings on Black Sea


When I really got into R.E.M. (five months ago or so) I got into the habit of ranking the albums and tracks ("Time After Time" was usually one of my least favorite songs). I've listened to XTC's Black Sea several times over the last few days, and I want to rank the songs just as I did with Life's Rich Pageant and Reckoning before. I can't even pick out my five favorite from Black Sea. Every song has its quirks, but "Burning With Optimism's Flames" may just barely top the others for its higher-than-average energy level (impressive for a track on this energetic record) and musical imagery (you can hear the flames, folks). The basslines carry me through this album. Maybe I'll have more success breaking down English Settlement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home