Friday, March 10, 2006

At the End of the Day


It has been a nostalgia-filled week for me. Last night, I went with Mandolin to see Les Miserables at the Forrest Theatre in downtown Philly. I last saw it when I was about as young as Gavroche, and the production was exactly the same, at least from what I remembered. (Lowender pointed out to me that all productions probably are.) Everything, down to the kinds of voices each character had, were just as I had remembered them from the live and recorded versions, even though most of those involved when I originally heard it must be long gone.

I have no shame in my appreciation of Broadway and its ability to create a standardized, musically whole and dramatic experience. What's more, the songs in Les Miserables are filled with terrific pop melodies, and the tunes from the different numbers are actually interrelated in a meaningful way. Hearing it and seeing it again brought back memories, just like hearing the Advantage play the Nintendo Bubble Bobble theme earlier this week. And like any good indie-rock record, the musical itself is top-heavy, with most of the high quality hits coming in the first half of the play.

2 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger FriedOreo said...

I got to perform "Bring Him Home" when my middle school choir performed selections from Les Miserables. After the concert I'm sure I ran home to play Super Nintendo.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Benthoven said...

My high school sang a medley of Les Mis songs at one point. My big solo was the second stanza of "Do You Hear the People Sing?"...the part about joining in a crusade.

Also: Earlier this week, I had a chance to see the same production of Les Mis that Mugshot did. My date and I agreed that it was an excellent show, despite some actors' inexplicable tendency to mispronounce their vowels or sing through their "r's."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home