Friday, March 10, 2006

Snobbery or ignorance?

As anyone who knows me will tell you, I'm no snob when it comes to music. But as I sit in my classroom listening to Sonic Youth's 2002 masterpiece Murray Street, I'm reminded of the annual Spring Fling concert at the University of Pennsylvania, where I saw the band last year. I remember a huge uproar in the weeks before the concert about the choice of Sonic Youth to headline Fling -- after all, SY was not a "big name" like Ben Harper of Dave Matthews. (Never mind that Sonic Youth has been in the business for decades and could drop songs out of their ass that are better than the best of those other guys. See, I'm no snob.)

So this year, with O.A.R. chosen to headline the concert, I'm reminded that many Penn students have yet to grow up. It's fine if they don't like Sonic Youth (even though many hadn't heard of them), and, I guess, if they really like O.A.R. more, but to say things like
Penn finally got a "decent" band
for Fling is as sickening as the fact that Penn students actually formed a group last year protesting the choice of Sonic Youth because they hadn't heard of the group. Am I a snob, or are these kids ignorant?

2 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Blogger BrianQuaker said...

The people have spoken, down with the hipsters!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger FriedOreo said...

Well said, Mugshot. Of a Revolution is the worse name is rock 'n roll (they are a rock band, right? I think they also have a dude in the band who's Asian, which is actually kinda neat). They're one of these bands who are just huge on the college circuit (a la Guster circa 1996).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home